Beira Mar Brasil in concert.
The Brazilian festival Carnaval Brasileiro returns to Minneapolis on Saturday, February 13, 2016. This long-running festival, now in its 14th year, will take place at International Market Square and is divided into two portions:
- 3-6 PM: Carnaval Brasileiro 2016 (including the BrazilFest Family Matinee).
- 9 PM-2 AM: Carnaval Brasileiro Masquerade Ball.
The festival will be hosted by guitarist/vocalist Robert Everest and his 10-piece ensemble Beira Mar Brasil, who will be joined by a cast of musicians and dancers including samba star Dandara Odara, the professional samba dancers Edilson Lima (who has been featured on Ellen DeGeneres), Vanessa Luiz, and Mariana Urraburu, Brazilian percussion ensembles Batucada Do Norte and Drumheart, and the Brazilian martial arts group Omulu Capoeira of Minnesota. Odara performs at over 50 carnival celebrations around the world each year in Europe, North America, and Brazil; Lima was featured on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Tickets for the afternoon BrazilFest Family Matinee are $10 in advance/$15 at the door. Tickets for the 18-plus Masquerade Ball are $20-30 in advance/$40 at the door. Tickets for both events are available at http://www.BrazilFest.org.
Batucada do Norte at Minneapolis Carnaval in 2012
Omulu Capoeira of Minnesota at the Twin Cities Kids Carnaval in 2015
Latest posts by Twin Cities Arts Reader (see all)
- PHOTOS: Blue Man Group Returns (State Theatre/HTT) - February 3, 2020
- PREVIEW: Jesus Christ (Superstar) Returns (Orpheum/Hennepin Theatre Trust) - January 15, 2020
- PHOTOS: James Sewell Ballet’s Opera Moves - October 21, 2019