The cast of Hamilton, one of 12 musicals in the redesigned 2021-2022 season announced today by the Hennepin Theatre Trust. Photo by Joan Marcus.
The Hennepin Theatre Trust announced its 2021-2022 season today. After numerous cancellations due to COVID-19, 11 of the 12 planned Broadways shows – plus an addition – have been rescheduled for a new season beginning July 2021. The star-crossed lineup includes multiple hit shows like Hamilton, Hadestown, Frozen, and Anastasia.
Missing in the lineup is Tootsie, an adaptation of the 1982 comedy film that opened on Broadway on April 23, 2019. That production having closed on January 5, 2020, the previously planned tour didn’t get a chance to launch before the COVID-19 pandemic brought live theatre to a halt across the world. Taking its place in the lineup is another film-to-stage adaptation: Pretty Woman: The Musical.
The new 2021-2022 season consists of:
- Hamilton, July 27–Aug. 29, 2021
- Come From Away, Sept. 7-19, 2021 Special Engagement
- Disney’s Frozen, Oct. 7-24, 2021 Special Engagement
- Oklahoma!, Nov. 9-14, 2021
- Anastasia,Dec. 7-19, 2021 Special Engagement
- Jersey Boys, Jan. 4-9, 2022
- Cats, Jan. 25-30, 2022
- Hadestown, March 15-20, 2022
- The Prom, April 12-17, 2022
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical, May 18–June 5, 2022
- Ain’t Too Proud – The Life and Time of the Temptations, June 28–July 10, 2022
The main six-show season subscription package includes Oklahoma!, Pretty Woman, Hadestown, The Prom, Moulin Rouge!, and Ain’t Too Proud. Hamilton is available through a seven-show season package. Jersey Boys and Cats are optional add-ons to any season subscription package.
“We’re excited to announce rescheduled dates as we look forward to Broadway returning to the Hennepin Theatre District,” said Mark Nerenhausen, president and CEO of Hennepin Theatre Trust. “Throughout the pandemic, we’ve come to understand and appreciate how deeply shared experiences impact us as people. The totality of the shared experience such as attending live events, spending an evening with friends, dining in restaurants or simply enjoying the atmosphere contribute to vibrancy and economic vitality of the District.”
As with all in-person offerings, the Hennepin Theatre Trust will continue to follow state and local health and safety guidelines that might impact scheduling and capacity.
Season subscription packages are available for purchase at HennepinTheatreTrust.org and by phone at (800) 859-7469. Tickets for Disney’s Frozen are currently on sale. Tickets for Come From Away and Anastasia will go on sale to the general public at later dates.
- NEWS: Hennepin Theatre Trust’s New 2021-2022 Season - January 14, 2021
- NEWS: Crooners to Reopen Jan. 28 - January 14, 2021
- NEWS: Chanhassen Dinner Theatres to Resume Concerts & Comedy Jan. 15 - January 8, 2021