Popup events are all the range now, and Minnesota Opera has decided to get into the game in a big way. Starting on September 19, MNOpera is sending its musicians out for free daily performances around town in the build-up to its season opener. The promotion, succinctly styled 7 Days of Opera, hits just one of the usual suspects and touches six less expected places. The seven venues are:
- Mill City Farmer’s Market: Saturday, September 19 at 10 am
- The Minnesota Zoo: Sunday, September 20 at 12 pm
- Whole Foods Market – Hennepin Avenue: Monday, September 21 at 12:15 pm
- The Mall of America: Tuesday, September 22 at 6 pm
- The Freehouse: Wednesday, September 23 at 5:30 pm
- The Tin Fish Minneapolis: Thursday, September 24 at 6 pm
- Minneapolis Central Library: Friday, September 25 at 12:30 pm
The seven performances will feature soprano Bergen Baker, bass-baritone Rodolfo Nieto, and pianist Jenya Trubnikava. Baker was previously featured in the company’s Carmen (as Mercédès), La fanciulla del West (Wowkle), and Magic Flute (Second Flute), and will appear as the Second Wood Sprite in its forthcoming production of Rusalka. Nieto has been featured in half a dozen MNOpera productions, most recently including La fanciulla del West (Castro), and appears in Metamorphosis Opera‘s upcoming production of Milhaud’s Médée. Trubnikava herself is the principal pianist for the St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra and has played for Mill City Summer Opera and the St. John’s Boys’ Choir.
Although the performances are officially free, visitors to the Mill City Farmers’ Market and Whole Foods may find their wallets significantly lighter. Leaving the Minnesota Zoo with a non-stuffed animal in your bag is discouraged.
7 Days of Opera builds up to Minnesota Opera’s season-opening combination of its annual gala, opening night of Richard Strauss’ comedy Ariadne auf Naxos, and its post-show Bacchus Bash.
Basil was named one of Musical America's 30 Professionals of the Year in 2017.
Latest posts by Basil Considine (see all)
- PREVIEW: Teen Idol Mania in The Bobby Vee Story (History Theatre) - November 16, 2018
- FEATURE: On the Launch of The Book of Mormon - November 13, 2018
- INTERVIEW: Mill City Summer Opera’s New Artistic Director - October 17, 2018