Chanhassen Dinner Theatres will show four compilations of rare music films at the Fireside Theatre on select Sunday afternoons in 2016 at 3 pm. Each showing is followed by dinner, and is introduced by film historian Bob DeFlores.
The showtimes are:
- Sunday, February 7: The Soundies – Jukebox musical films of the 1940s
- Sunday, May 8: Great Comedy Shorts
- Sunday, August 14: Legends of Jazz 1929 – 1970
- Sunday, November 6: Ladies of Song
The Soundies takes a look at jukebox musical films of the 1940s and includes some of the great entertainers, singers and orchestras of the era: Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Doris Day, Jimmy Dorsey, The Mills Brothers, Liberace, Eddie Peabody, Ozzie Nelson, Gene Krupa with Anita O’Day and Roy Eldridge, and many more. Also enjoy “Sing Along with the Bouncing Ball!”
For Great Comedy Shorts, take a trip back in time to see some of the great comedians of the past including: Buster Keaton, Our Gang, Bing Crosby and W.C. Fields. Also enjoy a vintage cartoon! (Chaplin and Keaton are silent films with music tracks, the rest are talking comedies.)
For Legends of Jazz 1929 – 1970, revel in great moments and rare jazz music performances with Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Fats Waller, George Shearing, Gerry Mulligan, Count Basie, Miles Davis and many more.
For Ladies of Song, enjoy rare performances and short subject visits with film songbirds. Featured performers include: Bessie Smith, Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday, Helen O’Connell, Rosemary Clooney, Helen Forrest, Sarah Vaughan, Margaret Whiting, Dinah Washington and many more!
Movie tickets are $12 ($40 for the entire series). Dinner is optional and costs an extra $15.
- NEWS: Hennepin Theatre Trust’s New 2021-2022 Season - January 14, 2021
- NEWS: Crooners to Reopen Jan. 28 - January 14, 2021
- NEWS: Chanhassen Dinner Theatres to Resume Concerts & Comedy Jan. 15 - January 8, 2021