The Art-A-Whirl may have come and gone, but it’s open studio time this afternoon at Jazz KBEM 88.5 FM from 5:30-8:30 pm.
- What’s on exhibition? A revamp of the KBEM’s Studio A as a performance and recording space.
- When can you drop in? 5:30 pm-8:30 pm tonight
- Where? 1555 James Avenue North, Door # 3, in Minneapolis, MN 55411
- What does it cost? Nada.
- What if I’m hungry? Light refreshments catered by Birchwood Café are available.
The Studio A renovation was funded by Hubbard Broadcasting, an Equipment Grant from the State of Minnesota, and the Lisa and Steven Anderson Family Fund. Some of the highlights of the open house include:
- Three 20-minute sets performed by Thomasina Petrus and the Selby Avenue Brass Band and a Jazz at MPS youth ensemble.
- Chats with KBEM hosts such as Ed Jones of The Morning Show, Kevin Barnes of String Theory, and Michele Jansen (General Manager and occasional program host of Sunday Morning Jazz).
KBEM is a public radio station licensed to the Minneapolis Public Schools Board of Education and located at North Academy High School. It reaches nearly 100,000 devoted listeners each week, and is the Twin Cities’ only full-time jazz station and the exclusive source for traffic reports broadcast from the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MN/DOT) Regional Transportation Management Center in Roseville.
Basil was named one of Musical America's 30 Professionals of the Year in 2017. He was previously the Regional Governor for the National Opera Association's North Central Region.
Latest posts by Basil Considine (see all)
- INTERVIEW: Matthias Maute on Bach’s Christmas Oratorio and 80 Concerts/Year (Bach Society of Minnesota) - December 6, 2019
- REVIEW: SIX Short of Hype, Still a Splash (Ordway) - December 5, 2019
- INTERVIEW: Chilina Kennedy on The Band’s Visit and Rocking the Road - December 1, 2019