The American Swedish Institute at night.
Theoretically speaking, Minneapolis in August has an average peak temperature of a temperate 80 degrees. Subjectively speaking, September is better: with average highs in the mid-to-low 70s, it’s perfect for walking outside with a light cardigan or a blazer. Comfy without being chilly, but even better with a cocktail in your hand. Throw in some live music, a new art gallery to wander into, some Swedish food…
If that sounds like your cup of tea, you might want to mark your calendar for Friday, September 16, when the American Swedish Institute hosts the latest installment of Cocktails at the Castle. This iteration, called A Different Way of Seeing, features live performances, a dance party, a DJ, food, and drink as visitors wander the grounds and galleries. The main event runs 7-11 PM; a pre-event VIP option starting at 5 PM includes a special pre-party, around-the-town adventure with period shuttle service, starting at the Foshay Tower’s Prohibition Bar and visiting the Guthrie Theater’s Endless Bridge before joining the main party.
- musical improvisations by sans le systeme,
- improvised poetry,
- video displays,
- performances by the Free Range Orchestra & Choir,
- grooving music by ZULUZULUU,
- art installations by Jennifer Davis,
- pop-up performances by D a N C E B U M S,
- 360° virtual reality experiences by Visual,
- a dance party with DJ Sarah White Music,
- and the central A Different Way of Seeing exhibition highlighting Swedish artwork from landscapes to contemporary portraits.
Bicyclists who check their helmet at the event receive a drink discount.
Advance Tickets: $17 for ASI members, $20 general admission. Door tickets: $25. The $55 VIP ticket includes the pre-VIEW bus adventure to Prohibition Bar and the Guthrie Theater, two cocktails, admission to the ASI event and a separate entrance to skip the lines.
- NEWS: Hennepin Theatre Trust’s New 2021-2022 Season - January 14, 2021
- NEWS: Crooners to Reopen Jan. 28 - January 14, 2021
- NEWS: Chanhassen Dinner Theatres to Resume Concerts & Comedy Jan. 15 - January 8, 2021