A medieval medical manuscript describing the four humors of the body.
One of the big questions on the mind when the Ivey Awards announced their closure in February was, “Will anyone step up and take their place?” The answer, it turns out, is yes – and, at least to start, it’s Four Humors Theater. Today, the ensemble announced the creation of a new MN Theater Awards show.
The MN Theater Awards will debut on Monday, September 24, 2018 at an undisclosed location. The project was announced on social media and on video, complete with a crowdfunding campaign on IndieGoGo.
One of the aftershocks of the Ivey Awards’ closure – and, perhaps, the preceding closure of the Sage Awards for Dance – was an extended series of online and offline discussions about these past award shows’ perceived openness, inclusiveness, and community input. In the announcement video, Four Humors actor Ryan Lear noted several priorities:
- having defined award categories,
- having a mixed, theatre industry-based voting pool, and
- announcing nominees in advance.
Lear described the IndieGoGo campaign as a ticket presale to determine what size venue to rent, while also carefully not stating whether or not the Four Humors would be involved past the awards’ inaugural year. (The organization has stated that it will not itself be eligible for awards in 2018.)
Two community planning meetings will be held about the awards at the Ivy Arts Building (Studio 243, 2637 27th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55406) on:
- Monday, May 7: 7-10 pm
- Monday, May 14: 7-10 pm
RSVPs to email@example.com are requested.
- INTERVIEW: MCA Executive Director Sheila Smith & the Road Ahead - January 11, 2021
- INTERVIEW: Taking the Multi-Site PROTOTYPE Festival Online in a Pandemic - January 8, 2021
- FEATURE: Unsafe on Any Stage: Alcoholism and Silence at Theatre in the Round - September 30, 2020